We all know that having a car accident can be a very traumatic and stressful event, especially one in which you are injured and find yourself with inadequate coverage. Even if you have disability insurance through your employer it is important to understand the details of the coverage you have. OHIP doesn’t cover everything and sometimes group health benefits have exclusions for injuries sustained in automobile accidents. Some important questions to consider when reviewing your coverage include:
- Is there a waiting period before your coverage takes effect?
- Do you have both short and long term disability?
- If you could only collect $400 per week towards your lost income, would you be able to manage while you waited for 3 to 4 months for your long term disability coverage from work to apply?
- Are there annual limits for treatments such as physiotherapy or chiropractic care?
- If you are responsible for an elderly family member or small children and you were hurt in an automobile accident, who would care for them? Would you have to hire someone? Under the basic accident benefits this extra expense is only covered if you are deemed catastrophically injured.
You are able to find an informative brochure as well as our optional accident benefits checklist. We welcome you to contact us to discuss your current coverage limits and to answer any questions or concerns that you might have. We want you to make an informed decision and would be happy to provide you with a quote for additional protection if you wish.