Are your labour practices up to the legal standards? Would you know what to do or who to turn to if your agribusiness faced a wrongful dismissal suit or if a client or supplier refused to honour a contract? The cost, complexity and stress of the legal system often deter agribusiness owners from pursuing their rights. That is why McFarlan Rowlands partnered with DAS to protect you with a PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance policy so that you can focus on what matters most- managing and growing your agribusiness.
DAS is Canada’s only specialty legal expense insurer. With a PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance policy, you have:
- Unlimited access to general legal advice and guidance
- An enhanced ability to defend or pursue your legal rights
- Access to specialized legal expertise within some of Canada’s most prominent panel law firms
It’s like having a lawyer on retainer! How are you covered? With PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance you can protect your business, your family and your vehicles with the following coverages:
|Features||What does PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance Cover?|
Legal issues relating to your vehicle
Total loss valuation
Complex government legislation and regulation
|Defence||Legal defence (offence in connection with the ownership, use or operation of a vehicle)
|Legal Advice||UNLIMITED access to general legal advice
PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance in action
Here are some potentially costly legal situations that you can face:
The Tragic Farm Accident
An employee is tragically killed during a mechanical accident on the farm and the ministry of labour is now conducting an investigation of the owner Kate and the field supervisor. DAS immediately appoints a lawyer to defend Kate and the employee during the investigation and if necessary, against potential criminal negligence causing death. This is an extremely complicated matter, during an emotional time for everyone. With the help of the DAS assigned lawyer, no charges are pressed. As a PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance policyholder, Kate saved in excess of $100,000 in legal fees.
The Difficult Neighbour
- A neighbour installed a fence that crossed over onto a Ryan’s farm. Ryan tried to reason with the neighbour, but the neighbour refused to remove the fence from his property. DAS immediately appointed a lawyer who contacted the neighbour and was able to negotiate a reasonable settlement. In the end, the fence was moved off of Ryan’s property. It would have cost him $7,300 in legal fees, if he was not a DAS policyholder.
The Unreliable Contractor
- Sheila was involved in a dispute over the quality of work done by a contractor engaged to pour a concrete foundation for new utility buildings on the farm. Sheila was seeking $2,000 in damages as a result of delays and cost overruns to fix the foundation; which the contractor refused to pay. After calling the legal advice helpline, DAS appointed a lawyer who represented Sheila’s business all the way through to the hearing in the small claims court. The judge awarded Sheila the $2,000. If Sheila did not have a DAS policy, she would have paid out-of-pocket about $9,000 in legal and disbursement fees.
Get coverage today! Simply contact us at McFarlan Rowlands to learn more about the PrimeGuard Agri-Legal Expense Insurance coverage.